The recent search term that hit the internet in the recent time is – Plex: add TV shows manually. If you also want to know how to add TV shows to Plex, then let me tell you that you have to follow the required Plex TV show naming conventions and also folder structure.
Plex TV is a media server where you can add several movies, TV shows, music, songs, and a lot more other things. After adding these to the Plex TV server, you can watch them or can enjoy them through the Plex TV. But it requires a proper process to follow if you want to enjoy the TV shows on Plex. Just adding the TV show on the Plex server will not be enough.
As so many people are trying to know how they can add their favorite TV shows to Plex TV, I felt the urge to write an article about this so that people can do what they want. Here in this article, you will find everything that you should know to add TV shows to Plex TV. So, let’s start!
Steps For Adding TV Shows To Plex
To watch your favorite TV shows on the Plex server, you need to add the show to the library of Plex first, then there are certain steps that you need to follow. Below I have stated all the required steps to add your favorite TV shows to Plex manually.
Read them and follow them to get your favorite TV show on the Plex server. To add TV shows to the Plex server –
- Open The Web Browser.
- Go To The Plex Server.
- Login To The Server As An Administrator.
- Click On Settings.
- Click The link you will find in the right corner of the top of the page of the Plex server.
- Scroll down the Menu you will find at the left pane and come to the section for Manage Click Libraries.
- Now click on the tab Add Library.
- From the Add Library window, click the library type for the TV Shows.
- Give the library a name, and Click Next.
- Click Browse for Media Folder to choose the folder where you have contained your favorite TV shows.
- Find the folder and click Add.
- Now click on the Add Library tab.
- After this, the folder for the TV shows will be added successfully to the Plex server.
But it can happen that even after adding your TV shows to Plex, they will not show on the list. It can happen that you find no information about those added TV shows on Plex. If you see this happening to you, then it is time for scanning the library files.
How To Scan Library Files On Plex
After creating the library for the TV shows, you will find an option to scan the library. If you run a scan on the library, it will search and download all the required metadata for every episode of TV shows.
Scanning can take a good amount of time depending on the number of TV shows you are scanning.
To scan the TV shows in the library, follow the steps I mentioned below.
- Open a web browser.
- Go to the Plex server.
- Login to your Plex server of yours as an administrator.
- In the library list at the menu in the left pane, take the cursor of the mouse on the TV show library that you want to scan.
- Click on the 3 dots that have appeared.
- Click Scan Library Files from the appeared menu after clicking the 3 dots.
After this, Plex will automatically scan all the TV show files as well as download the required metadata for the episodes. Once the process of scanning finishes, you will be able to see all the episodes of the TV show you have added to the library.
But if the download process does not finish correctly, then you might not be able to see the episodes even after scanning the library. But do not worry, I have a solution for this too!
- Recheck the naming conventions for the TV shows and see if those are named correctly as per the expectations of Plex.
- Click on The Wrench.
- include either the TMDB ID number or the TVDB ID number in the folder of the TV show name. If you do this, then the agents of Plex will get to know the correct TV show for which they should use the data.
- Read and scan the library once more.
These three steps are the solutions to the problem. Usually, the problem should be fixed by any one of these steps.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. Why does Plex not recognize TV shows?
Ans. If you have not named the TV show episodes correctly or as per Plex requirements, then it is possible that you will not be able to see the episodes even after running a scan for the library. So if you find no episodes or TV show even after scanning the library, go and check the naming convention you use for the TV show.
Q2. How do I label TV show extras in Plex?
Ans. You should label the TV show extras in Plex with proper suffixes. You should follow the below-mentioned naming convention –
S01E01 – Episode Title- Extra>Type. ext.
Below I am giving you a few Extra_Type suffixes –
Q3. How do I fix TV shows in Plex?
Ans. If you see that the TV show episodes are not showing even after adding the TV show to the library and running a proper scan, then you should check the naming convention you used for the show. You should follow the proper naming convention required for Plex to get the best results.
The Final Words
As I said before, nowadays so many people are searching for a way to add their favorite TV shows to their Plex servers, and that is why I felt the urge to write an article about it. I hope after reading this article of mine, you will find no difficulties in adding your favorite TV shows to your Plex server. So all the best and happy streaming!